Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Framing Mirrors with Molding

When we were building our house, one of the things I wanted to do was have our bathroom mirrors framed. The day I was ordering the mirrors I sat and looked at the different frame styles and colors and I could not make up my mind. Mirrors was one of the final things I had to pick out, and honestly I was so sick of looking at things, and picking things out, that I just didn't care. I ended up ordering just plain ole mirrors and left the place. I am so thankful that I did. To have them framed at the same time we ordered the mirrors it was $400.00-$500.00 per mirror, depending on size. On various blogs and home improvement sites, I've seen people frame their mirrors with molding and decided that I could do that. I started with our small bathroom in the mud room as my practice.

I bought my molding and corner pieces at Home Depot (my home away from home), and sprayed them with Rustoleum paint. I used the molding that is the "fake" wood since it is lighter, cheaper and already primed. I cut my pieces to fit before I painted them so all I would have to do is glue them on the mirror.

Before shot. The pieces are painted and ready to be glued on. I started by gluing the bottom piece on first. You can not start at the top or you are stuck at the bottom with no wiggle room if you need it.
During. I used painters tape to prevent slipping while the glue was still wet.
After! I think for my first practice mirror it looks fine.  Best of all...making them myself saves about $1,500.00. Yea!

Cost for one bathroom:

Molding & corner pieces $14.00
Paint $4.00
(I used Liquid Nails glue that I had on hand)

Total $18.00 YEA!

I have three mirrors to go still. I have the wood but it is too cold to paint right now. It needs to be at least 50-60 degrees to paint, and we have not been above 20 for weeks. Burrr......


4 comments:

  1. I like how it looks. I maybe could do that to mine. Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks awesome!!!! Great job!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it! I am inspired by you. I need to get up the nerve to paint a small table. I'm thinking green. ...j

    ReplyDelete
  4. seriously missing updates...do you have fb now? AC

    ReplyDelete